Monday, July 25, 2011

Smithsonian - More Photos

Khadija, Mom, Fatima, Sophie and Emily hanging out after lunch. 

The crowd watching the women weave. Normally, there were several rows of people watching and listening while I talked about the women, weaving in Morocco and my time in the PC

This is a group of us waiting for the bus after the fair one day. The woman in white started the world map project and designed manuals for PCVs to paint world maps on school walls around the world. The RPCV in blue, Laura, helped her local elementary school build two classrooms using recycled plastic bottles. Her host mom and aunt, who came to DC to help her demonstrate, were the principal and a teacher at the school

Khadija weaving early one morning, before all the visitors came. This is one of my favorite outfits she wore, with a traditional Berber headdress and sparkly white sheet held together with a large gold belt. 

Fatima working on her carpet. She wove a beautiful, all natural dye carpet with Berber symbols in lots of beautiful colors. 

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful to see you Anna! Fatima and Khadija were so nice. It was an honor to meet them. What a wonderful experience for all of us! I've passed this website on to my students so they can learn about Morocco and the Peace Corps too! I can't wait to see you again! Did you know the Peace Corps website has a video about Deaf Peace Corps volunteers? I can't wait to show it to my students!
    Love, Mom
    \/m/

    ReplyDelete